Saturday, December 6, 2008

Need to vent

I have been following the blog of a beautiful young woman that Cassy used to go to school with. Additionally, our family had been in their ward for a couple of years. The young woman, Susan, age 26, lost her battle with colon cancer last night (Dec 5th). Hers was the most courageous fight I have seen in some time. She was a lot like Cassy, health nut, exercised, and she had one of those infectious personalities that are hard to miss. 
 My heart breaks for this family. It also opens wounds of my own. Cancer is such a cruel opponent. It has taken a good many friends and loved ones from this earth, way too soon. I hope that we all pray hard, and often, for medical science to catch up with this disease. I so hope that cures are discovered in my life time. I want to witness its defeat. 
 As for Susan, a young newly wed who had so much to offer this world, Cliche or not, she is in a better place. Knowing that , although helpful, doesn't do a lot for how senseless it seems. It doesn't take the pain away from her young husband and family. She went from diagnosis, to dying in only a few short months. 
 Obviously she wouldn't have been expected to be getting screened for, what is usually a much older persons disease, but to my loved ones, I beg, do not skip check ups and screenings that you should be getting. Please help me to not let Cancer take anyone unnecessarily. Let's do all in our power to stop it. Sadly, we cannot prevent, or detect it all, but take care of the ones we can. 
 Well, I will let it go, for now. I don't even know if this will be read, but I just needed to get that off my chest. Thanks to anyone who suffers thru it. God bless!!

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Ren-I pray hard everyday for a cure. I have seen too many people taken from cancer, too. And we share the same wounds and my heart yearns for the same person. I see her in Mia every time she smiles. I wish there were something we could do. Promote awareness-donate time to help the cause. In the meantime, I am sorry for your loss and I hope for peace for the family of Susan. And for yours as well. I love you so much and I desperately miss you.

Cassy Taylor said...

I hope writing all this out has helped you work through it. I finally wrote out my feelings in my journal to try to help me stop thinking of it so much. It is heart wrenching and at least Susan's death will not have been in vain. She has taught us all so much. Maybe that's why she lived and died the way she did. It's hard to understand or even accept the plan God has for each of us but He knows what's best. Thank you for your post. I know you don't think many look at it. If not now, maybe someday and it will mean a lot. At least I do (and that's all that matters, right? :)). I love you mom and I hope you take your own advice to keep yourself in check. Like you, I don't bother with the small things but it's better to be safe than sorry. Let's look into some cancer organizations that we can help with. Even if it's helping families or patients. We could be doing a lot of good. I love you mom.